Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Katy Perry - Mannequin (Acoustic)

"If the past is the problem, my future could solve them baby.."

Was Katy Perry destined to be an Indie artist or the eventual pop chart hit maker that she is?

This solo acoustic performance at South By Southwest (SXSW) was recorded before she made "I Kissed A Girl" the 7 week straight number 1 chart topping hit of the summer. As much as I liked that perfect pop hit, I wonder what would have otherwise become of the aspiring artist we see in the video below, seemingly able to meld the vulnerable confessional yeans of the 70's singer-songwriters, with the raspy cries of of the alternative 90's Riot Rrrrls.




I discovered this performance in seven hundred and twenty progressive scanned lines of high definition video, which only magnified the surprise and shock in retrospect. This even looks like the Katy we have all come to know over the summer, right down to the long eyelashes and short pink dress. One would have to admit this is a passionate heartfelt performance, and with a full command of the acoustic guitar and a yearning expressive voice. Although the song was rerecorded for her album "One Of The Boys" in more of a produced version, I prefer this version much better. I am more able to feel the words that speak of a woman wishing a man could even rise to the level of being a real boy, just to understand he is not a man..not the man he really could be.


The more I investigate the varied past of Katy Perry, the more I ponder - Indie or Pop? I discovered this pop song "Broken", and a video recorded with the behind-the-scenes hit making team The Matrix, with the The Matrix unveiled as co-performers..





And as many already know.. before the "Pop or Indie" question for Katy, she originally emerged in the industry under the Hudson surname as a christian artist. (albiet christian songs with titles such as "Spit..") I hope the success of having kissed a girl does not forever detract from the potential of a possibly multi-level talent that this performance promises and hints at...

No comments: