Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sam Phillips - I Need Love

"I need fire, to melt the frozen sea inside me.."

Dear Sam -

Do you remember me? I was there in St Paul, Minnesota when your tour made a stop at the World Theater in 1994. I was completely fulfilled by your magnificent performance that night, satisfied that I finally got to see one of my very special, personal, significant female artists at last, live in person.. Shortly after seeing this intense video on MTV 120 Minutes, such a spiritual message channeled though the Beatles Rubber Soul album, with it's refutation of the "political church", and visual images of real body parts and actual burning corpses - never did I imagine I would minutes later shake your hand and make such a personal connection..




Do you remember? I was simply making a fast getaway to my car in the adjacent parking ramp when I saw a very small handful of 3-4 hardcore fans, ostensibly waiting there in the back of the venue hoping to meet you and get an autograph.. Although I usually shun such interactions, I was compelled to approach the group to inquire and confirm that this indeed was their intention..


I remember very well how a stage crew member sussed that a few fans were waiting patiently to meet you, then presumably went to inform you, and how you graciously came out to meet them, despite such a seemingly low number of them.. To their disdain, I found myself at the front of the imaginary greeting line..and oh, how did I monopolize the focus of your attention. Do you remember how we discussed your last bold and legendary album "The Turning" as a christian artist while you were still named "Leslie Phillips" and how great it was that you performed tracks from it in your encore that evening? I told my tale of trying to track a copy of that album down, and you told me how Myrrh Records subsequently branded you as a heretic for the content of it. They did reluctantly release it, only for it to disappear as you said "into the bargain racks forever..." I boldly confirmed your consideration to re-release the album again under your secular "Sam" name, while also stating I had located my own rare original Leslie copy of it on CD. (which you did not even own at the time..!)




Do you remember the gaze in the eyes and the shaken hand held a bit too long? I heard from your lips first that you were next going to perform on the Conan O'Brien show. And I surely thought you were joking when you said you were going to be a mute terrorist in the next Bruce Willis Die Hard movie! yeah right.. but I guess you were telling me the truth after all..


Reluctantly I released you to the other "fans" and gamely shook the hand of your giant and then-husband, T-Bone Burnett. But I never did forget - Those stolen moments, in the presence of an artist that I admire and respect, even up to this current day moment. Thanks for every thing, Sam.

Official|http://www.samphillipsmusic.com/

MySpace|http://www.myspace.com/officialsamphillipsmusic






No comments: