Sunday, August 10, 2008

Samantha Ronson - Pull My Hair Out

"I know one day I'm gonna be ok..."

Generally speaking, it must be really hard to get a recording contract and put an album out..

I saw this video for "Pull My Hair Out" back in 2004. I was browsing the AOL on demand music video channel shortly after getting digital cable in our area, and was surprised to find many unique videos that I could browse through after giving up on MTV. I liked this girl's rockin' pop song with a snarky edge to it. The video was a suffocating collage of dense cutout images and a humorous battle she had with a bizarre stuffed cat puppet. I liked the video and song, and had to add this video to my vast collection.. Since it was nowhere else to be found on the web at that point, I had to record it by connecting the cable box directly into my PC's video capture card and playing it through the coaxial cable. This would indicate I was definitely interested enough to see what an album by this Samantha Ronson would sound like..





Apparently there never was a Samantha Ronson album, or at least not one that ever hit the stores. She was signed to rap label Roc-A-Fella Records but only put out a few songs that apparently no one noticed. Well I noticed "Pull My Hair Out" and saved away this video in my favorites folder, but eventually forgot to look any further.





A mere 4 years later, and pop culture has caught up a bit. I initially started to hear her name again, as being mentioned as a hip club DJ linked to many celebrities. She has a few other songs on her MySpace page and selfportrait, but perhaps she has lost interest in making and officially releasing any further original music? This time it wouldn't be for any lack of attention or connections..

Her twin sister Charlotte Ronson is a successful fashion designer, who is inspired by her sister's music mixes and supportive of her their brother's success. [Charlotte Ronson - Nylon Magazine Designer Diaries]

Her Brother is the famous Mark of the same last name, the award winning UK mega-producer of songs by Amy Winehouse and Lily Allen among many others. She has said she really wouldn't work with her brother on music though..

One of the few Samantha Ronson songs to be released [Samantha Ronson - "Built This Way"] ended up on the soundtrack for the film Mean Girls, starring Lindsay Lohan. And now this very same Samantha Ronson is most well known for perhaps being more than friends with Lindsay Lohan herself.. [The latest gossip is always emanating out of PerezHilton.com, where she has her own category] Now she can't escape fame at all, but nevertheless seems to remain very down to earth and unaffected in interviews.




If she wanted to, it probably wouldn't be too hard for her to release an album now. Perhaps due to notoriety being gained another way, she may not receive the same respect or consideration now. For me I will always remember her as the cool woman in that video I saved.. wanting to hear more.

No comments: