Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Finn Brothers - Suffer Never

"she will suffer never, I mean her no harm.."

Two good men with guitars, offer forth a simple declaration on behalf of women.




This simple acoustic performance was on MTV around the same time period as Nirvana Unplugged. Neil Finn teamed up with his brother Tim Finn for an album under the name Finn Brothers, then Neil disbanded one of the greatest pop groups of all time at the height of their success.

With such a straightforward rightgeous expression of men, delivered with so much passion for just the simple uplift of women, why is such an image so rarely seen or heard? And even beyond that, if this song were played now 14 years later, why would the reaction of two earnest men with guitars be likely to provoke disdain and mockery?

What are the images of men in this culture right now? Scanning the top of the current pop charts, I see attributes of manipulative cliche spewers, mindless materialists, self-justifying objectifiers, objects of empty crushes, predatory stealers, liar and cheaters beaten with baseball bats, cutters whos's inflicted wounds bleed love itself, or the confused recepients of hate and love ambivalence..


I do love all types of fun and interesting popular music, in all time periods. But deep down I am always looking for songs and lyrics that speak to me, speak for me, and that I feel deep inside of me.


Suffer Never

Has she fallen from the sky so heavy of heart
the sigh was on her tongue, the grief was in her arms
she will suffer never, I mean her no harm

She'll come slowly rising on the air
Lift her weightless on the air, on the air

And the silence was enough to shed my guilt
She will always know my wishes, 'cos I remember how it felt

Kisses slowly rising on the air,
Lift her weightless on the air, on the air

She will suffer never, I mean her no harm


No comments: