Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Annie - I Know UR Girlfriend Hates Me

"Life's too long for you to get it wrong"




I love Annie's perfect pop music. What is it about Annie that captures the ears and hearts of even the most jaded hipster? With such deliciously dense sugar-coated pop, from whence does she cull such credibility? So far I can't find anything bad out there that is written about her. In fact people seem to really be looking forward to her new and second album in October. I even signed up on her mailing list to get the free track and advance info..


Perhaps this song is similar enough to the last hit to be called "Chewing Gum Part 2" - but that matters not. That song is still going around in my head non-stop, being so self-referential and insanely catchy as it is. [Annie - "Chewing Gum"]


Part of her appeal for me is how she uses her layered background vocals to enhance the melodies, and if you listen closely you can hear it is mixed in to be part of the rhythm track as well. For these songs, I also appreciate the crisp and precise production skills of Richard X. Some of his production and writing I like are in these songs:

[Richard X vs. Liberty X - "Being Nobody"]
[Rachel Stevens - "Some Girls"]
[M.I.A. - "10 Dollar"]




Electro-pop, but with a contrasting lighter touch, Annie's song "Heartbeat" benefits from the sweet touch of her airy vocals. The video is an appealing time-shifting collage of lights and Scandinavian night life, which she knows about, since she is as much of a DJ as she is a singer..



No comments: