Sunday, July 27, 2008

Introduction





When I added my Red Hector Electronic Music to MySpace in late 2006, it was a return to the web after an earlier period during the Napster days of 1999-2001. Back then mp3.com was the epicenter of unsigned artists sharing their music to the wider world.


In recent years with MySpace and YouTube online music had expanded into the realm of shared videos and a move towards social networking. On MySpace there was a link that said “Post New Blog..” which I tried and discovered how you could embed a video from YouTube with a few comments. I was completely uninterested in the fad of “blogging” but I did like how I could arrange some music videos for online viewing and then share them with others..


The reason is because I am a collector of music videos, and CD’s, and mp3’s, movies and magazines..the full range of alternative to popular pop culture - eclectic and no barriers bound by notions of pretentious coolness or overexposed mainstream pop. I just like a lot of stuff.


Since before the days of the Internet I used to share music with my friends. First by having them over and playing records and tapes for each other. Later I would host music video parties, which were open ended evenings where I would play selections from my vast collection of video tapes..


Then the internet came along, with ever increasingly high quality video files.. with such a variety from around the world. Just as my tastes and experience of the width and depth of the world’s music was expanding, people around me were growing increasingly sequestered in their own self contained separate worlds. No longer were people sharing music or interested in listening. Maybe it was just too much stuff out there for them to sort though? Not me, I enjoy spending sometimes whole evenings exploring the music that is out there and rediscovering and listening to what I already know.


This blog will be a reflection of what I find and literally the songs that are going through my head. Think of it as my ongoing-online-always-there music video party. It is just my own personal site but all are invited to listen and read along, and perhaps let me know your thoughts as well - Red Hector


No comments: