Monday, July 28, 2008

Katy Perry – I Kissed A Girl

"The taste of her cherry chapstick.."

First up for this new site is the song of the summer.. A song I had a chance to read about, before actually choosing to play for the first time..






This was the week I was researching music blogs to see if I wanted to make a blog of my own. (for all the music prior to this blog, see my “previous favorites” playlist on YouTube..) I had already seen and liked the Katy Perry video for Ur So Gay with funny lyrics and video about a metrosexual man. But in this song there was a buzz everywhere and a mild fuss about how she herself had “kissed a girl..”


In this day and age and culture I was a little surprised there was any controversy about such a song topic. After all 13 years ago, I used to see a song with the same title on MTV’s 120 Minutes every week. [Jill Sobule – “I Kissed A Girl”]


Playing the song for the very first time, I was drawn in by the gaze of her pretty eyes and the seductive and familiar Gary Glitter drum rhythm. [Gary Glitter – “Rock N’ Roll Part 2”] But it wasn’t until the throbbing electro bass groove of the chorus came in, that I was hooked..


In fact, that chorus reminded me of what I liked about a certain song.. [Goldfrapp – “Train” *adult advisory!*] There seems to be an equal amount of girls surrounding the singers in a sexy, fun all-female party vibe, although Katy’s video looks almost PG-13 in comparison to Alison’s.. Katy’s video has as many obvious trappings of naughty/sexy that can fit into one video - Including petting a pussy-cat and eating cherries..


Since the song is getting a lot of attention, she has been called homophobic or exposed for her previous career as a christian singer. Beyond all that, however overexposed this song gets, I love this song as a prime example of a modern pop song. I will never get sick of it and will enjoy it for what it is - even taking into account it may have been artificially created in the pop labs, co-written as it was with the infamous musical chemists of Dr Luke, Max Martin, and the fabulous Cathy Dennis.

No comments: